Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Stop Trying to Make Pretty Shapes in the Mirror

"That's not Yoga - that's Modern Dance!"

In class last night, while instructing the class how to properly execute Garudasana (Eagle Pose), the teacher told us to stop trying to make pretty shapes in the mirror. This statement really struck me. Because of my background as a modern dancer, am I doomed to continue trying to make pretty shapes in the mirror?

I would like to think that I am more aware of my body alignment when I am in certain postures because I am a dancer, but how can I snap out dance mode and into yoga mode? Do I rely too much on the mirror and not enough on what is going on inside me? Maybe if I quit thinking of how I will look in the mirror, I will finally be able to do both sets of Triangle pose without dying.

I am going to try thinking about this in class tonight. Any other dancer yogis out there noticing something similar?

No comments: