Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Looking Back at 2009 and Ahead to 2010

I hope everyone had a great holiday! As we are winding down the end of 2009, it's time for me to reflect on the things that happened throughout the year and make a new plan of attack for the next.

This year was really hard for me because I had to stop dancing because of the cysts in my ankle. It has been a really rough time mentally for me since I love dancing so much, but going to yoga has helped me at least stay in shape while I cannot dance. Come to think of it, yoga has also helped me grow in many other ways. I have learned so much about my body and breathing because I have been going to yoga. When I do finally get back to dance class, I feel like I know a lot more about balance and the way my muscles work. I guess sometimes things happen for a reason? Maybe my body was telling me to slow down and pay more attention to it? I went from rehearsing 3-4 times a week, and traveling and performing on weekends, to just yoga. 2009 was my "slow down" year I guess.

In the new year, I plan on trying many other types of Yoga. I am signed up for a year of Bikram, and while it has helped me get flexibility back into my ankle, I feel like I need a more well-rounded type of yoga in 2010. I need to work my arms more and challenge myself with postures I have never tried before. My new favorite studio, Samadhi Yoga Studio will be seeing a lot more of me in 2010!

Since I can't take ballet or modern dance classes anymore because my left foot won't point, I have decided I am going to take break-dancing classes! I figure since I can't dance on my feet anymore, it is time to dance on my hands. Plus, I figure break-dancing is probably a lot like Yoga, with all the hand-balancing freezes and all...but I will keep you posted on that, he he he. I am a dancer at heart, what can I say? :)

Another major thing I need to work on in 2010 is ROAD RAGE! I never had it before this past year, but for some reason I developed this need to yell at other cars when I drive. It's really doing a number on me and I feel like I have anxiety every time I get into my car. I need to learn to breathe more when I drive, and to not go driving around thinking I am the best driver in the world anymore! I also need to stop taking things so personally when I am driving. Not everyone is out to smash into me...at least I hope not!

All in all, I am looking forward to 2010! It's always nice to feel like you have a nice clean slate to work with. What are some of the things you are looking forward to?

No comments: